Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A Dress for ME

I've been seeing these tank dresses all over Pinterest lately and I got it in my head that I could make one that would fit my bump.

Sugarplum Cuties: Maternity tank top dress
Dress: Me, Sash: Me. Necklace: groopdealz.com

I'm seeing the colors coral and mint everywhere for spring and I LOVE the combination of those colors so that's what I went with.

I stopped by Meijer one day and bought 2 tank tops (the other one is going to be made into another dress) for $7.  Then I hopped on by JoAnn and got this great skirt fabric.  The skirt is a woven and apparently wovens and I don't get along because I made this dress twice before I finally got it right.


I left a super generous hem on the bottom, something like 5.5 inches so I could adjust it up or down if I needed to.  So far, it fits the bump pretty well so we'll see how it lasts as I continue to grow and grow!

In a nutshell, I tried my tank top on and marked where I wanted it to stop and the skirt to start then I chopped the bottom of the tank top off.  Then, I measured myself where I wanted the waist to start and grabbed some 2'' elastic in that length.  For the skirt, I made it a couple inches bigger than my belly measurement (which is the biggest measurement on my lower half right now).  I sewed the tank top and the skirt to the elastic.  Then I hemmed the skirt.  Last, I used 1/2 yard of the solid mint green fabric to make a sash to cover up all those yucky elastic seams.


Now, I could just use a little spring weather here in Indiana so I can actually wear this for more than 2 seconds without shivering.

Want to make your own tank dress?  I didn't use an online tutorial, I just measured myself and hoped for the best.  But, to make it easier, here are a couple good tutorials:

Ruffles and Roses Tank Dress Tutorial
Sew Country Chick: Easy Tank Top Dress Tutorial

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...